Sunday, August 9, 2009

Wii Dazort

I'm going to preface this by saying that Mike and I are either the coolest parents ever or the stupidest. Maybe the two go hand in hand. We bought wii sports resort this week. We were at Costco and the kids hadn't even noticed it. Mike pointed it out to me and I told him to put it in the cart. Just like that. I didn't even consider the repercussions of such a purchase.

Anyway, we only thought James was wii obsessed before. He's taken his obsession to a whole other level now. The first night after we got wii sports resort, James woke up several times during the night, mumbling things like, "It's my turn now. I wanna play wii. I'n gonna win." Then, the moment he woke up in the morning, he said, "Mom, I play wii dazort." Me: "Do you want some breakfast? Are you hungry?" James: "NO! I just nee a play wii dazort." Spoken like a true addict. Needless to say, we've put in some hours on the wii this week. James even peed on the floor because he was too busy playing to use the bathroom.

In an effort to give the wii a rest for awhile, we went on a day trip to Seattle on Thursday. First stop was the aquarium (our membership expires at the end of the month) and then we planned to go to EMP to see the Jim Henson exhibit (admission to EMP is free every first Thursday of the month from 5-8pm). During the interim, we walked to Westlake to eat and catch the monorail to Seattle Center. It was only 4:30pm when we got to Seattle Center, and being the coolest mom that I am, I let the kids go on the scary carny rides that are perpetually parked at Seattle Center. I was feeling like they were severly overpriced, but then James let out a belly laugh so funny on the airplane ride that it was worth every penny. So, then we were off to EMP right at 5pm. Apparently, we weren't the only ones who had that bright idea, though. There were about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 people in line to see the Jim Henson exhibit. Lucky for us we were toward the front of the line and only had to wait about 15 minutes. So, we went, we saw, and we left. The best part of the day was seeing Jim Henson's original pencil sketches (on lined notebook paper) of Bert & Ernie and Big Bird. The ironic part of the day was that our "free" day cost us $90 by the time we paid for parking, ferry, lunch, monorail, rides, etc. The worst part of the day was me carrying James all over Seattle. "I'n big, Mom! I don't nee a stroller." Why did I believe him? Then the whole walk back to the ferry, James kept asking, "Where's da Muppets? Where's da Muppets? I can't see dem." Me: "They're at EMP. We're going on the ferry to go home." James: "We're going home a play wii dazort? WOO!"

The rest of the weekend was one big blur of wii resort. This afternoon, I was playing sword fighting with him, which is fencing on a platform in a large body of water, and James said, "I'n gonna get you wet sucka!" Then tonight, on the way home from Gramma and Grampa's house, James had wii on the brain. "I wike a play wii dazort, Mom." Me: "It's late and it's time to go to bed when we get home." James: "I don't wike a go to bed. I wike wii dazort. I don't wike scary in my room. My ta-to head is scary under my cwose." I guess he made a scary face on his potato head and hid it under a pile of clothes in his room. I think he was just trying to come up with any excuse he could to play more wii resort. Do they have 12 step programs for 3-year-old boy wii addicts? "Hi, my name is James, and I'm a wii-aholic."


No comments:

Post a Comment