Sunday, July 19, 2009

Oh man! It's empty.

We went grocery shopping yesterday:
James: "Mom, I wan gummy bay-ers."
Me: "Um, not this time. You have to be good to get a treat and you just hit Genevieve."
James: "Oh man!"
. . . later
James: "I nee mini charms." (That's James for Lucky Charms)
Me: "We're getting Kix and Cheerios."
James: "Oh man!"

Just now (it's 9:20pm), James brought me a box of penne pasta. "I wike dis kine Mom. I wan hab some."
Me: "It's time for bed. We can have it tomorrow for dinner."
James: "Oh man!"

"Oh man" is a very useful phrase for a 3-year-old boy.

Also, James has been potty training this week. I've been trying to send him to the bathroom about ever half hour. I try to use my most excited voice, like it's a really fun thing to do.
Me: "James! (These are excited and eager exclamation points!) Go potty! Hurry!"
He's usually in the middle of playing legos, or lincoln logs, or cars, or digging in the dirt, or watching tv, or playing wii, or any number of things that are actually more exciting than going to the bathroom.
James: "Oh man!"

About 9 times out of 10, James produces some pee when I make him sit on the toilet. But when you go every half hour, you're bound to run out of pee sometime. When that happens, he says, "It's empty."

He hasn't gone #2 on the toilet yet. Baby steps. I thought he was close to going the other day, though, so I had to entertain him while he sat and waited ever so patiently on the toilet seat. We made a short movie of him demonstrating how to do "shaka". (Papa Dean taught him "shaka" a few weeks ago. He's been practicing.) James also insisted on taking off his shirt for the movie. Apparently, he's a bit of an exhibitionist. Don't worry, though, no little boy parts were exposed in the making of this movie.


1 comment:

  1. That's great! Here's to our turn this week to start potty training.

    ReplyDelete